Overall in Kentucky last year, there were 135 kidney transplants, 33 involving living donors — so Maynard said the couple's transplant was likely one of the only live donations between strangers across the state.And with more than 100,000 Americans waiting for kidneys alone, Mc Intyre and Robinson hope their story inspires people to consider donating their organs."I know being a living organ donor is not possible for a lot of people," Mc Intyre said. And even if it's not an option, people can put on their license that they will donate" after death.But she said when the procedure was "almost set in stone," they and their relatives agreed to meet at a local Cheesecake Factory restaurant."We all clicked immediately," she said.

She began undergoing a battery of blood tests and urine tests, plus an EKG and a psychosocial review.

For each step in the pre-transplant testing, "it was just one match after another," Kim Mc Intyre said.

"I thought, 'This can't be coincidence.' "Maynard said their kidneys were "a match but not a perfect match. A perfect match is very rare, 1 out of 100,000."What did match perfectly were their personalities — although they didn't know it then.

Mc Intyre didn't want to meet Robinson until after she was sure the transplant would happen for fear of disappointing him or his family.

"It's just kind of a human thing, something (to) do for another person that could change their life."Gift of life Mc Intyre didn't realize how much her gift would change her own life as well.

She first learned about Robinson from her mom, Kim Mc Intyre, who heard Robinson's mother talking about his need for a kidney on the WHAS Radio show "Terry Meiners & Co." while driving from Nashville to Louisville in mid-January of last year.

She eventually became pregnant; she's due June 9 with a girl they will name Berkli.

She went on bed rest because of a problem with her cervix and took temporary leave from her customer service job. They haven't yet set a date for the wedding but are looking forward to meeting their daughter, buying a home and eventually having more babies.

Family members offered to donate their kidneys, but "nobody matched," he said, so he spent two years on the transplant waiting list. "He was so young" and had lost his father to cancer, she said.